Currently over 50 per cent of the world’s seafood is farm-raised and projections show this figure exploding to 75 per cent in just 15 years. Given strong market for B.C. farm-raised salmon, this reality spells thousands of jobs in aquaculture for British Columbians.
The province is home to a number of well-respected educational institutions that offer aquaculture programs. Like many positions in the industry, these programs, offer a mix of field work and lab opportunities. They also boast excellent employment rates.
- Vancouver Island University – Fisheries & Aquaculture Program
- Excel Career College – Aquaculture Technician Program
- University of British Columbia – Faculty of Land & Food Systems
- North Island College – Marine Training Program
- DiveSafe in: DiveSafe International
Training comes in many forms and Divesafe International[SS7] , one of our members, offers public training through a variety of diving and first aid courses.